17/02/2011

The Marketplace Collective/ Melanie Rickey

Marketplacecollective

The Marketplace Collective opens on Friday 18th February at 12pm. London’s most stylish have set up shop and are selling items directly from their own wardrobes. Melanie Rickey, Grazia fashion editor at large, POP contributing editor and blogger extraordinaire (Fashion Editor at Large) talks us through what's on offer from her closet.

What are you selling on ASOS Marketplace?

1) J Brand "Gigi" jeans, waist 28, £40 (new £175).

These were gifted from J Brand after I met the founders of the company a few years ago. They told me our stories in Grazia had made their jeans successful. I’m selling them because they don’t really fit anymore! My everyday trousers are now Dom & Ruby leather leggings.

2) Tomas Maier (the designer of Bottega Veneta) dress £75 (bought for £450). SOLD!

Tomas Maier (the designer of Bottega Veneta) dress – bought from Brix Smith-Start at her Start boutique on Rivington Street in Shoreditch in 2006. It’s a special dress because Brix and I started chatting that day and became friends soon after. We have been friends ever since! We (that’s me and my other half Mary Portas) haven’t worn it for a couple of years, hence it’s got to go to a more loving home. It’s in perfect condition! My current favourite black dress is a long one by Maria Francesca Pepe.

3) Putty coloured waist-cinch dress by ACNE, £50 (bought at sample sale, cost at new £158).

I bought this at an ACNE sample sale. I’m selling this because the colour doesn’t suit me or Mary. This has been replaced by my oversized hot pink silk Equipment shirt.

4. Grey cashmere "Kate maxi dress" by Crumpet. With tags on £65 (new for A/W10 £175)

This was a press gift, and is still brand new with all the labels on. I love this dress. I’m selling it because, much as I wish I did, I just don’t feel comfortable in a body-hugging tube of cashmere that shows every lump and bump! If I was 25 with a hard-toned body I would flaunt it around town like a total diva bitch.

5. Christian Louboutin platform sling-backs, size 40. Slightly worn on the sole, but otherwise in perfect condition. £100.

Christian Louboutin platform sling-backs, bought at a sample sale in 2008 to wear to a black-tie event. These shoes are too small for me. I wore them for the event, and from that day forward they have been gathering dust. They need a good home! All my very high heels these days have very big platforms, the ones I wear most are my YSL Tributes.

what are you looking for on ASOS Marketplace?

McQueen or Helmut Lang tailoring, vintage Levi’s, 1930s style dresses, statement knitwear, unusual vintage handbags.

You can shop Melanie’s items from our Marketplace Collective boutique, opening tomorrow (February 18th) at 12pm.