22/10/2012

The Collectors: Tim Manning, Back to Snap

In the first of a new series, we’re going rogue and heading into the field to get to know our sellers a little better. We’re finding out what makes a fashion pro tick, the pieces that still get them ‘cited and the finds they’d never sell.

First up is Tim Manning, buyer and model for both Sam Greenberg Vintage and Back to Snap, who talked us through his Snap Back collection.

The Collectors: Snap Back caps

The Collectors: Snap Back caps

Why snap backs? 

The snap back caps were huge in the 80s and early 90s. So when I’m going for an 80’s street look, they work really well. Now they’re getting very popular – a bit too popular! My collection is dwindling slightly but I’ll always love them. 

The Collectors: Snap Back caps

The Collectors: Snap Back caps

Do you have a fave?

My favourite is this Tyson vs Mathis cap. It’s pretty simple and looks good with most clothes. I like that it has the date – it’s from ’95, and is from a big boxing match. I found it on my travels to New York in Brooklyn.

We love the multi-coloured cap, complete with propeller! How often does that get worn?

This hat is pretty jokes! I’ve worn it to Notting Hill carnival, and people constantly twirl it while I wear it. It’s a hat that makes me feel smart. It's great for festivals, too.


The Collectors: Snap Back caps

The Collectors: Snap Back caps

The Collectors: Snap Back caps

Are there any that you've bought for the store but just had to keep for yourself?

This cap here I got from work – it was one of the first crazy caps we had, and one of the first that I’d seen that I really liked. Now they are so popular that all high street chains sell them, but we were one of the first! 

And your most pricey purchase? 

My most expensive was my Supreme  globe print cap coming in at £46.  It’s the most I’d pay for a hat. It's made of Tyvek, a paper like material. Although, if you find the right buyer, a lot of these caps would be worth a bit of money, for example the bright green vintage Nike cap is quite rare. 

The Collectors: Snap Back caps

The Collectors: Snap Back caps

Where do you store them all?

I have even more than you see here! I probably have around 40 in total. Enough to wear one every day for over a month, theoretically

Unfortunately I don’t have boxes big enough to fit them all in, so they are overflowing and a bit messy most of the time. I forget about most of them because they’re at the bottom of the pile so I end up wearing the same 5 over and over.

Take a trip over to the Back to Snap boutique to the Snap Backs Tim hasn't added to his collection.