30/01/2012

Seller Visit | Surface Too Deep

Here in London town we are headed straight into a cold snap, but our Marketplace friends down under are currently laughing it up mid-summer style. If you are this side of the equator and fancy a distraction before you shake your fist at the incoming sleet, escape to sunnier climes by cyber-visiting Wellington, NZ & the home/studio of Surface Too Deep designer Esther Miro. Once you've had a look around, it's time to get equally excited about Esther's beautiful swimwear, so visit the Surface Too Deep Boutique here.

If, however, you are already in her neck of the woods, what the heck are you doing online? Go outside!




Hi Esther, fancy doing us a little intro? 

Hi, I’m Esther Miro and I am a freelance textile designer and founder/designer of swimwear label Surface too Deep. I live in New Zealand’s capital Wellington and my home/studio looks over the ocean. Wellington is a creative hub, musically and artistically. Along side designing next season’s swimwear range I am currently working on the movie 'The hobbit', creating textile designs through screen-printing and fabric manipulation for soft furnishings. 



How long you have been in the fash bizznas?

Surface too Deep was founded in 2010 whilst living in Melbourne and searching for the perfect swimmers, with no luck. I create structured bikinis and flirty one piece’s in wearable silhouettes for the girl who is experimental with her style but never compromises in the perfect fit.

The prints on your swimmers are so beautiful, what inspires them?

I design each range as limited edition kaleidoscopic prints in-house from my studio/home. I often start by painting/mark making/photography before using the computer. This seasons inspiration derives from dreamy lagoon reflections and abstract expressionism, which are merged through painterly water colours and hazy textures. These subconscious creations are portrayed in vivid florals contrasted with monotones and photo qualities in a sultry palette and dream-like prints.



What’s your favourite piece from your current collection?

The pixie twist and high waisted bloomers in print Autumn Lagoon. This cut is an effortless piece that can be worn two ways, twist under the bust or as a bandeau. The colours are a combination of soft peaches and cherry red. We photographed this piece to evoke dreams of yester-years and endless summers.


What do you love about where you live?

Wellington has a great cafe culture and alternative life style. I live by the ocean and hear the sea at night. We have a three sixty view of the beach and I often feel like we are the first to see a storm roll in. I love that I am a 5 min walk to the beach and my favourite cafĂ© Maranui. 



What’s your favourite local establishment?

Maranui is my local cafe, it is a 5min walk down the hill and is situated on the beach in the old surf life saving club. I love catching up with friends on Sunday for brunch and coffee to die for.

Fav places to shop:

E S design – beautiful textiles full of local designers.
Ruby – sophisticated and quirky clothing
Ziggirat – vintage finds
Minova – beautiful inspirational textile books
Madame fancey pants – full of all things nice.



What’s your favourite vintage piece?

My button collection that, I keep in a concertina cabinet. I like to cluster them in colours.

What song sums up your mood at the moment?

Home by Edward Sharpe; I love this song it Makes me want to get in the car and drive to a remote beach. I can’t wait to go on a go on a summer road trip and eat fish and chips.



Thanks Esther! In case you haven't already, best head to the Surface Too Deep boutique right here.