21/05/2013

Vintage in Las Vegas with Carrie Harwood

We chat to style blogger Carrie Harwood of WishWishWish on the best places to shop vintage in Sin City, as well as finding out her most prized vintage find...


The Gyspy Den

What do you look for when you go vintage shopping?

I look out for beautiful vintage dresses (usually from the '60s) that I know you would never be able to find elsewhere. You're never going to catch anybody else in the same outfit when you shop vintage. I pay close attention to great patterns and colours, and if something has a cute collar, it's a winner in my eyes.


Your most prized find?

In Vegas, I picked up a vintage brooch - a pair of plastic sunglasses. It's so kitsch and silly, but I never fail to pin it to my outfits when I'm in Vegas. The whole place is kitsch, so it fits in nicely!


Charleston Antique Mall

What is the vintage scene like in Vegas?

Vintage shopping in Vegas isn't the best, but there are a few hidden gems that are jam packed full of clothes. People shopping in Vegas tend to stay on the strip, but you'll have to do a little exploring off the beaten track to discover all the vintage the city has to offer. 

Any vintage shopping regrets?

On my last day in Vegas I paid a visit to The Attic. I spotted an emerald velvet dress with a silky white collar and cuffs - I tried it on and was so close to taking it home with me but thought better of it when I realised how many dollars I had left in my purse! Oops.


The Attic
Give us your top vintage shopping tip!

Don't be afraid to purchase that bargain that looks a little too big or too long, it takes no time to whip up the hem on a sewing machine, or even to take it to your local tailor. It's totally worth it for that unique piece.

Anywhere we definitely shouldn't miss?

Make sure to stop by the Buffalo Exchange on South Maryland Parkway. It's a great concept - you take your old clothes and swap them for money or new clothes. You can also buy the clothes that people bring in, meaning you can find brand new and vintage for amazing prices.

The Attic // 1025 South Main Street The Attic is full of bright colours and crazy prints - I can imagine it's where lots of people go to get their '70s dressing up gear, but it's really big so definitely worth a visit. They have a huge menswear section, too.

Charleston Antique Mall // 307 W. Charleston The Charleston Antique Mall isn't necessarily a vintage clothing store, but a collection of different sellers under one roof. You can find everything from old crockery and furniture to beautiful lace dresses. I even spotted glitzy vintage costumes worn by Las Vegas dancers of eras gone by!

The Gypsy Den // 213 E. Colorado The Gypsy Den is amazing. You spot the old carriage outside first - their venue for live music in the evenings. Their clothes and jewellery are customised and handmade, and they play the coolest music. This is one for hip vintage hunters!