09/02/2012

Seller Visit | Nicki Grainger

This week, we’re off to the seaside to meet Bournemouth based vintage seller Nicki Grainger. As well as selling online (check out her boutique The Cherry Closet) Nicki also takes residence in a local Alice in Wonderland themed vintage shop. She gives us the scoop below.



Tell us briefly about you?

I’m Nicki Grainger, I live and work in Pokesdown, Boscombe – the vintage quarter of Bournemouth. I own ‘The Cherry Closet’, and I sell some of my collection in an Alice in Wonderland themed vintage boutique called ‘What Alice Found’ which I manage on the high street in Boscombe. I freelance as a stylist and source costumes for theatre productions too.

How long you have been in the fash bizznas?

After graduating with a fashion journalism degree in 2006, I interned for several fashion magazines before getting an editorial job at a wedding magazine. In 2009 I set up my online vintage clothing boutique part time. In April 2011 I quit my web marketing job and went full time in the vintage world and opened a boutique!




What’s your favourite piece from your current collection?   

I have a new favourite piece every week! This week it’s this vintage 1960’s quilted maxi dress with the most incredible sheer cream balloon sleeves, adorned in beading and flower embellishments. I’m quite obsessed with these sleeves...

What do you love about where you live?

I moved here just as the vintage vibe really started emerging, and had many happy summers here as a child. Near my vintage boutique is such an eclectic mix of places, from tattoo parlour cafes and vintage photography studios to antique shops and quirky independent designers. There’s lots of history here and people with stories to tell.



What’s your favourite local establishment? 

·         Best for coffee & a read – ‘The Crooked Book’ cafe and vintage bookshop
·         Dinner & cocktails by the sea – Urban Reef or Urban Beach
·         Shopping & cake - The monthly Boscombe Vintage Market

What’s your favourite vintage piece? 

My two personal favourite vintage pieces are: 1. Red and gold 1950’s dress – it always cheers me up when I put it on! 2. My 1960’s faux fur jacket that I got in LA and had to wear onto the plane home (in 90 degree heat) as I was over my baggage allowance. Helena Bonham-Carter boarded the plane at exactly the same time as me and clearly thought I was INSANE....





What song sums up your mood at the moment?

 ‘Dance, Dance, Dance’ by Lykki Li. 

Thanks Nicki! Click here to visit Nikki's boutique, The Cherry Closet.