08/01/2012

Seller Visit | Carolina Benoit

Why do we love our new international boutiques? Because not only do we get to shop the world (from the comfort of our sofa) but we also get to have a good virtual snoop around their stores & homes. Helping us be nosy in the name of fashion is the lovely Carolina Benoit, who’s taken us on a tour of her Miami studio/shop.


Once you've had a good gander, be sure to stop by her ASOS Marketplace Boutique. 





























































































Q: Tell us a bit about you. 


My name is Carolina Benoit, I was born in Colombia but moved to Miami about 10 years ago to escape the violence in my native country. The studio is located here in Miami, in the middle of nowhere next to some old railroads; when you come inside it is truly a magical place, I carry my own designs as well as designs from up and coming designers from around the world. Each little piece has a story, an origin, and a creator. 

Q: How long you have been in the fash bizznas?

I have been in fashion business since I was born. When I was a little girl I used to ask my mom not to buy me any Barbies, just clothes for them! And when I was 18 I left Miami to Paris so I could start my fashion studies immediately... The trip to Paris ended up being a journey through all the fashion capitals of the world: New York, where I graduated from Parsons, and interned at Vera Wang, Ralph Lauren and Catherine Malandrino, and later on London, where I studied fashion business at Central Saint Martins. In other words, fashion is my life... I can't imagine doing anything different, and I am sure it will take me to amazing places in the future. 

Q: What’s your favourite piece from your current collection? 

I couldn't decide between my black velvet skirt, the red chiffon maxi skirt, or my chunky crystals necklace (To come in Spring 2012). All three pieces look great with this sequin top, I guess I am in a holiday mood! 



































Q: What do you love about where you live?

Miami is the perfect place to keep my traditions intact, it is a bridge between the US and Latin America, the place to be if you want the best of both worlds. And then I love the beach (although I never go there), the weather is perfection.

Q: What’s your favourite local establishment? 

Apart from my studio ;) I love FOUND a small furniture boutique owned by two sisters and their mother, they buy old furniture and give it a new life, each piece ends up looking so gorgeous, unique and new! 

Q: What’s your favourite vintage piece? 

My favorite vintage piece is a pink 1950's dress with swarovsky details, I love to wear it, even though it is not very Miami style... 

Q: What song sums up your mood at the moment?

The song of the moment is Born to Die by Lana del Rey, I especially love the music video, and her expressions. I find her very intriguing. Her music helps me relax while designing.